You are here
As a primary care provider you will participate as a member of the primary level palliative care team. The majority of patients can be cared for by the primary level care team with specialist support as needed (See Mississauga Halton LHIN Model of Hospice Palliative Care).
If patient/family needs are more complex or support is needed, consider the role of secondary level palliative care specialists (i.e. consultation, collaborative care/shared care, direct care).
- Mississauga Halton LHIN Palliative Nurse Practitioners are available to assist primary care providers in providing care to palliative patients in the community through consultation and shared care, see referral form for further details.
Palliative Care Specialists for primary care physicians:
- Dorothy Ley Hospice Physician Group 416.626.2138
- Credit Valley Palliative Physician Group 905.813.4466
- Oakville Palliative Physician Group 905.483.0635
The Palliative Pain and Symptom Management Consultants at Acclaim Health are a secondary level resource position funded through Mississauga Halton LHIN providing learning among health care providers by facilitating the integration of knowledge into clinical practice. They do not provide direct care.
Nurse consultants in this role offer:
- Best practice guidelines and symptom assessment tools
- Offer consultation in person, by telephone, or via e-mail regarding approaches to care, assessment and management of pain and other symptoms
- Provide case-based education and mentoring
- Help to build capacity among front line service providers in the delivery of hospice palliative care
- Link providers with specialized hospice palliative care resources
See the Mississauga Halton Central West Regional Cancer Program Secondary Resources webpage for additional details